Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Preparing for silence

Now, anyone who knows me, knows that I'm not a quiet person.... probably just the opposite. So, why on earth am I going on a week long silent retreat? I'm not sure I can fully explain it, but I'll try.

Over the past 2 years, I have desired to focus more on listening to God. I haven't always made time for it like I should, so I wanted to spend a week of my sabbatical focusing specifically on this. Two women in my church, whom I greatly admire, have spent time at this retreat center (which, did I mention?, is right on the beach!) and have found it amazing, if not life changing. I'm just really curious what God might have to say to me -- and so I want to make time for it. I don't know any other time in my life when I would take a whole week to just go and be in silence -- so I figured sabbatical was it!

Plus, I'm excited about the challenge. Sure, I don't think I could do a silent retreat if I were going to some boring, ugly place with a bunch of my friends ... but I won't know any one at St. Mary's by the Sea, and a week at the beach -- well, I think this might just be possible. (And each day I will meet with a spiritual director -- one of the nuns -- to talk about what is happening, so I will talk a bit each day.)

I also have a lot of things swirling within me -- spiritually, personally, and professionally. I don't know where any of these things are exactly leading, but I really believe that God has a lot to say to me this coming week, so I hope I can take it all in. I truly believe this is coming at a perfect time for me to just relax and listen.

I've decided not to blog or facebook or such while on my retreat, so we'll see if I can manage. I'll be sure to give you a full report when I return ... that is, if I feel like talking!:)

1 comment:

Paula said...

Thinking of you as you are in the middle of your retreat...looking forward to hearing about it when you return.