Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sabbatical thoughts

My congregation is so generous ... after 4 years of ministry, I have been granted a 3 month sabbatical. I have just completed the first 2 weeks and have learned a number of things already:

1. Waking up on Sunday mornings is totally different as a pastor than a regular church attender.
2. Saturdays are also totally different as a pastor than a regular church attender (and this goes for those weeks that I'm not preaching too.)
3. I was surprised that I missed my own church service this Sunday morning ... even though I was looking forward to experiencing some new worship settings during sabbatical.
4. It is a real gift to be able to be away from home for 10 days and then look forward to coming home WITHOUT having to return to work immediately.
5. I'm not sure I could be happy without having a career outside of the home (yet I sure do enjoy having time to do projects around the house, meet friends for lunch, and hanging out with my nieces/nephews and friends.)
6. It's not necessarily any easier to force myself to exercise every day just because I'm not working.

Two weeks of sabbatical down ... 10 to go ... not a bad feeling!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sue-- Great points about it not being easier to exercise, and realizing how much you enjoy having a career outside the home. I'm returning to regular work after being away for 1 1/2 year (unpaid leave, followed by a sabbatical), and I made similar realizations. I loved the time "off," but it showed me that the grass isn't always greener... :-)

Unknown said...

I just realized my name didn't show up above. It's Jennifer Abbott. (I'm new to blog commenting!)