Friday, August 14, 2009

Just a delightfully perfect day

I try to get together with my mentor/friend, Mim Book, as often as possible. It usually is every 2-3 months. We typically each drive half-way and meet at a restaurant. Today I told her I would drive to her home, since I have more time these days with sabbatical. She lives about 1 1/2 hours away. I arrived at her home around 10:15am and we had a wonderful visit until 12:45pm. We laughed, talked, shared deeply, and encouraged each other. Mim has been such a wonderful support and inspiration in my life. As I was with her today, I wondered if I can be such a role model for younger women in the way that Mim is for me. How do we create those relationships or do they just happen?

After thoroughly enjoying my time with Mim, I went shopping at Macy's and got some fantastic deals (clearance racks rock ... plus coupons ... and gift cards!), then got my favorites at Trader Joe's (multigrain pita chips and multigrain pancake mix), and then met my good friend, Stevie Kriss, at California Pizza Kitchen. I've NEVER eaten there before! We had a great time and after our late lunch, went to IKEA. I wisely went on the IKEA website earlier this week and made a list of what I wanted. I was so proud of myself -- I spent less that $52 at IKEA!! Plus, shopping with Stevie was fun too.

I drove home to Lancaster and as I drove home realized what an absolutely fantastic day I had. Sure, some of it had to do with shopping at my favorite stores (I won't deny that), but most of it had to do with spending time with really good friends -- the kind that know you so well, you don't have to explain things ... and you can just laugh and laugh together about stupid things. And yet, they push you on things that you yourself are sometimes scared to consider. And most of all, they love you for exactly who you are. If that doesn't bring joy to our lives ... well, then, nothing else will! Today I give thanks for the deep joy of friendships.

1 comment:

Theo, Adam, and Ira said...

Amen, sister!

Heidi a.k.a. Theo and Adam